Myiasis is the infestation of tissue with fly larvae, commonly referred to as maggots. Maggots infest nose, nasopharynx and paranasal sinuses causing extensive destruction and obvious deformity.
- Visible maggots should be picked up with forceps
- Instillation of chloroform water/ether and oil (liquid paraffin) kills them
- Nasal docuhe with warm saline is used to remove slough, crusts and dead maggots
- Avoid contact of the patient with flies by use of mosquito nets
- Nasal hygiene for prevention
Nasal Myiasis Removal Video